Health Benefits of Juicing Celery
- One of the very low calorie herbal plant, celery leaves contain only 16 cal per 100 g weight and lots of non-soluble fiber which when combined with other weight loss regimens may help to reduce body weight and blood cholesterol levels.
- Celery is a functional food. Its leaves are rich source of flavonoid antioxidants such as zeaxanthin, lutein and beta-carotene, which have anti-oxidant, cancer protective, and immune-boosting functions.
- It is also good source of vitamin-A. Vitamin-A and beta-carotene are natural flavonoid antioxidants. Vitamin A is also required for maintaining healthy mucus membranes and skin, and for vision. Consumption of natural foods rich in flavonoids helps body to protect from lung and oral cavity cancers.
- The herb is also rich in many vital vitamins including folic acid (provides 9% of RDA), riboflavin, niacin and vitamin-C, which are essential for optimum metabolism.
- Fresh celery is an excellent source of vitamin-K, provides about 25% of DRI. Vitamin-K help increase bone mass by promoting osteotrophic activity in the bones. It also has established role in Alzheimer's disease patients by limiting neuronal damage in the brain.
- The herb is very good source of minerals like potassium, sodium, calcium, manganese, and magnesium. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that helps control heart rate and blood pressure.
- Its leaves and seeds contain many essential volatile oils that include terpenes, mostly limonene (75 to 80%), and the sesquiterpenes like β-selinene (10%) and humulene; but its characteristic fragrance is due to chemical compounds known as phthalides (butylphthalid and its dihydro derivate sedanenolid) in them.
- Essential oil obtained from extraction of celery plant has been used in soothing remedies for nervousness, osteoarthritis, and gouty-arthritis conditions. In addition, its seeds, and root has diuretic (removes excess water from body through urine), galactogogue (help breast milk secretion), stimulant, and tonic properties.
Celery plant contains just 16 calories per 100 g leaves and along with numerous health benefiting phyto-nutrients such as flavonoids, folate, vitamin-A, vitamin-K, minerals and other vitamins, has all the characters to consider it as one of the most valuable low calorie or negative calorie weight loss functional foods.